The LA Scots Pipe Band is a premier Grade 2 pipe band in the United States winning numerous championships and competitions.
Since the 1990 relaunch of the LA Scots, the band has been home to over 150 band members - some who travel thousands of miles to be a member of this successful organization! The current Grade 1 group is made up of 22 Pipers, 10 Snare Drummers, 6 in the Bass & Tenor Section, and a Drum Major. The band is also home to a Grade 4 competition group currently numbering 14 Pipers, 6 Snare Drummers, and 4 Midsection Drummers. Many of our players are active instructors, judges, and respected leaders within the international pipe band community.
- Originally Formed in 1961.
Founding Members- P/M Jimmy Thompson, P/S Ian MacDonald and D/S Charlie Capperauld.
The original band was Grade A (now referred as "Grade 1") during its initial run until 1974.
The current LA Scots Pipe Band was revived in 1991 by combining two local bands. The Beach Cities Pipe Band and the Scottish Heritage Pipe Band. The leaders of this revived band were P/M Scott Ruscoe and D/S Tom Foley.
- Scott MacDonald became P/M in 1992 (1992-2005), son of founding member P/M Ian MacDonald.
The band won the World Pipe Band Championships in Grade 2 in 1997, Glasgow Scotland. This was a first for a U.S. Band.
The Royal Scottish Pipe Band Association (RSPBA) upgraded the LA Scots Pipe Band to Grade 1 in 1998.
LA Scots have placed as high as 11th on three occasions in Grade 1 since 1998.
- The Grade 1 band has traveled to Scotland over 20 times to compete in the World Pipe Band Championships since 1993.
- The Band is now under the direction of P/M Colin Armstrong (2005-Current).
- The LA Scots Pipe Band organization is now home to 3 competitive bands - Grade 1, 3 and 4 comprised of over 60 Pipers and Drummers.
- Band was Re-Graded in 2018 as a Grade 2 Band
Former Lead Drummers of LA Scots 1961-Present
Current- Carl Lenny
Pipe Majors of LA Scots 1961-Present